|A snapshot of the infamous California drought that affected millions. Credit : LA Times|
As expected, reactions are pouring out from all corners of the world. Here is a compilation of some of the world's most vocal Women climate leaders:
Lidy Nacpil, Asian Peoples Movement on Debt and Development
"... a U.S. pull-out reveals utter disregard for the fate of humanity in favor of continued hegemony of U.S. elites and big corporate interests. Not to mention a tyrannical refusal to accept scientific findings."
Sunita Narain, Centre for Science and Environment, India
Climate change is a global challenge. The US cannot continue to keep the world hostage. Pulling out of the Paris Agreement would mean that with 5 per cent of the world population, the US will continue to jeopardise the remaining 95 per cent. Countries need to hold the US accountable for decisions that have a global impact,” said Narain.
Rachel Smolker, BiofuelWatch USA
"I am ashamed ... hope our allies will let their voices be heard at U.S. embassies - to both isolate Donald Trump and his ilk - and apply pressure on the U.S. to step up and take responsibility for real and equitable solutions to the escalating climate catastrophe."
Angela Adrar, Climate Justice Alliance USA
"Trump's erroneous and embarrassing decision to withdraw the U.S. from the agreement - proves more than ever that communities on the frontlines of the climate crisis are the ones to lead us toward a renewable and regenerative future. "
Catherine Abreu, Executive Director, Climate Action Network Canada
“Trump may be ready to abandon the benefits associated with climate action, including improved air quality and human health, job creation in emerging industries, and international influence. Yet it is clear that American states, communities, and businesses are not willing to make the same sacrifice."
|A woman and a child in the Philippines stand in what was their home once - destroyed by Typhoon Haiyan Credit: AFP-Getty|
Winnie Byanyima, Executive Director, Oxfam International
“The world’s biggest historic emitter walking away from its climate change commitments is gravely unjust, but we must respond by redoubling our efforts. Those on the frontlines of climate change demand nothing less.”
Keya Chatterjee, Executive Director, US Climate Action Network
“Trump has no mandate from the US public to weaken the Paris Agreement, and should not be making big decisions while under investigation. This cowardly failure to lead will only make us stronger as a movement as we push harder for just and equitable climate action.”
|Women in Honduras set up solar panels. Credit: UNDP|
But even as they lash out At Trump's decision, some leaders are already looking at the Post US Paris Agreement as glass-half- full situation. Here are some examples:
Susann Scherbarth, Friends of the Earth Europe
“Trump has cast America adrift from the global community and the reality of climate change. This should be a trigger for increased action on climate in Europe, to end fossil fuel dependency by 2030.”
Jennifer Morgan, Greenpeace International Executive Director
“Almost 200 countries committed to climate action in Paris and only one has decided to withdraw. This is how far out of step Trump is with the rest of the world. It is the changing of the global guard - as the US bows out, world leaders, CEOs and people across the world can and are moving forward into the future.”
Osprey Orielle Lake, Executive Director, Women's Earth and Climate Action Network (WECAN International)
"In the face of a dangerous and failing Trump administration, and its withdrawal of the US from the Paris Climate Accord, the Women’s Earth and Climate Action Network stands in solidarity with our partners.... Women worldwide are working everyday to protect our lands, waters, climate and children’s futures - and though the challenges and injustices we face are many - women will be undeterred in our action and advocacy for a just and livable world. "
Farhana Yamin, Founder and CEO, Track 0
"President Trump’s decision to withdraw from Paris will not bring prosperity to the US. It will create further injustice for those who have contributed little to climate change" .
And Finally, a voice that speaks out the obvious truth: the fightmust and can go on
Erika Lennon, Senior Attorney, Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL)
"Donald Trump’s decision to pull the US out of Paris will not save the coal industry or fossil fuels, but instead will slow the urgent action that is needed and undermine the ability of the US to negotiate any international agreement, leaving it isolated and irrelevant. Mr. Trump may be out, but he doesn’t speak for the world. The rest of us are still in. The future demands nothing less.”